Monday, October 11, 2010

The final harmonious trio of gorgeous gigs:

After Marlborough and my lazy Sunday with the Dury’s I revved myself up again to meet Bob at Heathrow. He’d been on a whistle-stop tour of Abu Dhabi with CBR which would be the last of his exhausting travels this year - bless. We enjoyed a couple of days unwinding with Jo and Mike near Worksop ... always a delight.

The Black Swan in York is yet another BBC radio 2 Folk Club of the year winner and rightly so. The club has been successfully run for many years by Roland Walls who has a bevvy of wonderful helpers who keep the club running smoothly. Due to health challenges - now thankfully overcome - Roland wasn’t able to make our show but his presence was very much felt.

Bob and I decided to drive to York early and have a wander round it’s gorgeous streets. It was a particularly cold day and not a lot of wandering was done but we still appreciated the brilliant atmosphere.

Rob drove up to meet us exactly on time! Hurrah for small mercies. We sound checked quickly and ate heartily in the pub downstairs and were well and truly ready for our performance. When it was time to step up and do our thing, we had to squeeze ourselves into the fabulously full upstairs room where it all takes place. Rob was pleasantly surprised to see his music teacher from the Isle of Man in the crowd! It didn’t put him off his stride at all. I thoroughly enjoyed this show which was full of wit and sparkling banter ... the audience not me! It was a great show and I know the feeling was mutual. Thank you York.

Yummy York! from Christine Collister on Vimeo.



We drove back to Jo and Mike’s and somehow managed to get into the house without waking them - phew! The Rock is one of my favourite shows, run by some of my favourite organisers: Rob and Jan Shaw. I was truly thrilled by the large crowd that turned up and enthused excitedly all night! Hurrah. One of my favourite moments from the whole tour happened at the end of “We Spoke Today” ... captured for all to hear by Bob ... hurrah!

Rocking at the ROCK I from Christine Collister on Vimeo.



Rocking at the Rock II from Christine Collister on Vimeo.



The following day should have been a truly epic drive up to St Andrews in Scotland and a gig at Inn at Lathones, run by David Mundell, who used to run the fabulous Beinn Inn for many fruitful years. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our collective control, the show was postponed and we’re now looking to try again in May next year - I have my fingers firmly crossed this will definitely happen. My humble apologies to anyone who bought a ticket and my thanks for their understanding when we weren’t able to deliver.

Feeling fairly refreshed after an unexpected day off we were more than ready for our final show of this tour - ah. We enjoyed a delicious, late Sunday lunch with Jo and Mike at a restaurant en route to Halifax and not too far from their lovely home. It felt like a party in many ways ... a celebration! Hurrah.

The Square Chapel Arts Centre is a wonderful venue I’ve only played once before. Our sound man for the night was a delightful - very young - man of 17, Jo who did a truly wonderful job. Chris Howarth made it his 6th gig of the tour and winner of (as yet to be ordered!) tour T shirt! He’s such a sweetheart and it’s always a joy to hear his infectious guffaw radiating out from the audience. Bless you darlin’.

A Fond farewell from Halifax from Christine Collister on Vimeo.



It was a great show to go out on. It just went far too quickly! The whole tour did really. Rob Cross was a wonderful accompanist in so very many ways not least musically of course. We’re hoping to put a run of shows together for May next year, including a week in Scotland towards the end of the month. If any of you have ideas for venues/clubs to approach please feel free to email me with suggestions: ccollisterATmac.com.

Thank you, as ever, for taking the time to view my Blog and thanks to anyone who managed to get to a gig ... I can’t do any of this without your support ... I truly appreciate it.

BTW ... Bob and I are finally going on our Honeymoon next week. Our criterion were: absolutely no cruises (me) and definitely no longer than 14 days (Bob). So that’ll be a 28 day Caribbean Cruise then! OMG! Given neither of us wanted this type of holiday we’re both ridiculously excited about it. Rest assured I will Blog about our experiences when we reluctantly return in January. HURRAH!

Have a fabulous Christmas and a happy and healthy new year and hope to see you all again in 2011.

Take care.

Much love

Christine Collister Miller XX ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment